Friday, November 6, 2009

FREE Kids Bikes

Last weekend my Husband and I were invited by one of his students to come down the the BBP (Boise Bicycle Project) to pick out some FREE bikes for our kids. I had never heard of it. And who gives kids bikes away for FREE?? Well, the Boise Bicycle Project is a non-profit organization that takes donated/unwanted bikes and refurbishes them. They turn those "junky" bikes into high quality bikes. They also end up with so many kids bikes! And better yet...they will just GIVE them to you at NO cost. When we arrived at the shop they had a HUGE upper shelf overflowing with kids bikes. Since I have girls, I just told him to pull down anything that looked girly. We got some great "Used" girl bikes that we are going to give our girls for Christmas! So if you or anyone you know needs some kids bikes, go down to the BBP. They are used but they are FREE! The address is:
1027 S Lusk St
Boise, ID 83706
(208) 429-6520
You can also check out their web site to learn more about them. They have great adult bikes for really cheap and they also work to educate the public on how to fix up their own bikes. There is so much. Check it out! www.boisebicycleproject.org

3 comments:

RachelH said...

The Boise Bike Project seems like an awesome program for the community. I was concerned that some people might take advantage of the free kids' bikes, so I did a little looking around on their web page. This is what I found:

Q- I heard you give free bikes to everyone that wants one, when do i get my free bike.
A- BBP gives bicycles to kids for free if they are referred to us from another charitable organization (schools, churches, after school programs, social workers, etc). Adults can get a bicycle by paying (we have bicycles priced from $10-$1000), or we have an Earn-a-Bike program that makes it possible to volunteer time in exchange for a bicycle. This program encourages education and giving back to the community. Volunteer Orientation is required for Earn-a-Bike.

So it looks like free bikes don't just go to whoever wants one, but will really go to those in need. I hope that those who need bikes are able to use this great organization!

Unknown said...

I think if you walk in there (especially with your kids!) that they would never deny bikes to someone who asked for one. Of course there is probably an official policy because some losers might try to abuse this charity, but I think they operate in good faith.

So dont be discouraged because you dont have a referral from a church or somewhere else. Id just go in and ask. I know 2 people who personally walked in and left with bikes. And they were not referred beforehand.

Worse case scenario, they tell you to get referred, adn then you can have someone refer you. Either way this is a GREAT program , and a wonderful opportunity for anyone in need!

Unknown said...

* I should mention that both families went in for kids bikes, not adult bikes.