Monday, August 3, 2009

Did Anyone Miss Me?

Has anyone even noticed that I have not posted any recipes in a few weeks? Well, this would be because I have been entertaining FOUR DIFFERENT groups of house guests! Just last weekend I had a big group of my husband's family visiting. I had to feed TWELVE people for three days. One of the best things about couponing like crazy is that a weekend like that didn't break the bank. I am known in my husband's family as a great cook, so I have a reputation to defend and could not possibly feed my visiting family members any old meals. But, I was able to provide gourmet food, toiletries, etc. for the entire weekend for 12 people for less than $150. (I think I went through 30 rolls of toilet paper in one weekend...) I am grateful that I was so stocked up on everything... I was able to plan meals using what I have on hand. Here is a delish desert that I served last weekend that I would bet most of you have ingredients on-hand for.

Strawberry and Brownie Hot Fudge Sundaes

Place a big brownie slice in the bottom of a bowl. Top with a generous scoop of your favorite ice cream. Drizzle with hot fudge (recipe below) and then top it all off with whipped cream and sliced fresh strawberries. The tart strawberries paired with the rich and creamy flavors in everything else is super yummy! I promise!

Hot Fudge
1 stick butter
6 heaping Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan over mdeium high heat. Let the butter melt and start to bubble. Remove pan from heat. Stir in 6 heaping Tablespoons of cocoa powder -- whisk well to remove any lumps. Add 1 can sweetened condensed milk and continue to whisk until smooth.


Price Breakdown:
Breyers ice cream- FREE (I had a freezer full of Breyer's for all my guests and I just picked up 10 more pints today using my rain check from a few weeks back... Can you ever have too much ice cream?)
Brownies- $0.50 (estimate)- I made mine from scratch but don't we all have a brownie mix hanging around...
Hot fudge- $0.50 (estimate)
Strawberries- $1.99
Whipped Cream- $0.99

TOTAL: $3.98

I FED DESERT TO 12 PEOPLE FOR LESS THAN $4!!!! THAT's 33 CENTS A DESERT! BEAT THAT BASKIN ROBBINS...

4 comments:

Crazy Mom said...

I have missed you!! :)

Tamra said...

I missed you too! I LOVE all of your posts!

Keri Lyn @ She Saved said...

Thanks for the new recipe! One question... in the past, I have just copied and pasted your recipes for my recipe folder, but now I can't highlight them to print. Is it my computer?
It is so much easier then actually WRITING the recipe down, lol! (oh the laziness...)
thanks!! KL

Crystal Ashton said...

I have noticed that I cannot copy and print either. Sometimes I like to copy and paste someone's great coupon scenario so I can easily print it and take it shopping with me. Is this a setting that one of the administrators set? If so, please change it.