Monday, April 27, 2009

Another great recipe for a killer price!

Here is a great recipe that is one of my family's FAVORITES! Even my husband and kids love this soup. It is healthy and a fun soup to make all year round. I hope you all enjoy!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
4 oz can diced green chiles
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer 30 minutes.

Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro and tortilla chips, if desired.

Note: This soup freezes well and feeds my family of 4 for two meals.

This is a great meal to make at the last minute using items in your pantry. Here is my price breakdown:

crushed tomatoes free (Using Muir Glen coupon)
tomato sauce $.20 for two (From a deal a while back. I am sorry I can't remember when.)
Chicken Broth $.50 total (From a deal a while back. I am sorry I can't remember when.)
Chicken $1.88 (on sale at Albertson's through Tuesday for $1.88 a pound)
Green Chiles $.99 (I paid full price for this...dang it!)
Chips for topping $1.58 (Santitas were on sale at Albertsons last week for $1.58 a bag. If you hide the bag from your family you can stretch it for two meals...)
Cheese for topping (about 4 oz) $.25 (from a kraft promotion a few weeks back where I got 2 lbs for $1.80)
All other ingredients are from my food storage so let's estimate $.50 for all of them (I think that is too high)

GRAND TOTAL: $5.90 and remember this feeds my family for two meals so it is really $2.95 a meal. Add a salad and maybe some quesadillas for the kids and you have a yummy meal for a bargain!

1 comment:

benandmonitanner said...

I love the recipes Crystal...great idea!!!!