Monday, April 6, 2009

Albie's Sale/Ham Rebate Participating Product Match-up

I thought this information might be helpful for those of you who want to take advantage of two GREAT promotions taking place this week.

The Albertson's promotion is this:  "Spend $25 in participating Kraft/Unilever products, get FREE meat or seafood, up to $10." (Check out PYP to see a scan of the ad, as well as their list of product/price/coupon breakdowns).

The Unilever Ham rebate promotion is this: "Purchase $40 worth of participating Unilever products and one ham or turkey and receive a ham or turkey rebate up to $20" (this is a mail-in rebate that came in the 4/5 Unilever coupon insert)

If you're like me, and you'd like to take the best advantage of BOTH promotions, you're going to have to do a bit of homework.  

First: You'll need to know which of the Unilever products in Albertson's promotion match up with the Unilever products in the ham/turkey rebate offer.  I've cross-referenced the PYP Albertson's list with the list from the ham/turkey rebate site (www.makinglifebetter.com), and the brands that match up to both promotions are:

Axe, Ben & Jerry's, Bertolli, Breyers, Country Crock, Dove, Good Humor, Best Foods, I Can't Believe it's Not Butter, Knorr, Lipton Recipe Secrets, Lipton Tea, Popsicle, Promise, Q-tips, Ragu, Skippy, Slimfast, Suave, Vaseline, Wish-bone.

I suggest you print out the PYP list and put a star next to all the products in the list above (that's what I'll be doing).  I think this will simplify your choices for you.

Second:  Now that you know which products on sale at Albertson's this Wednesday match up with the rebate offer, your next step is to figure out which of those products you want to buy in order to reach $50 worth (BEFORE coupons) of product.  This will qualify you for FREE meat, up to $20.  Pick out a ham or turkey as close to $20 as you can to maximize your savings, then buy your $50 worth of products and get your FREE ham/turkey instantly. 

Third:  When you get home, go through your receipt and circle all the Unilever products you just purchased (again, refer to the list above if you need help remembering).  The total of all the Unilever products has to be over $40 (before coupons) to get the ham/turkey rebate, and should be no problem, since you just spent $50 in Unilever products to get the Albertson's FREE meat promo).  Then fill out the rebate form and send it with your receipt to the address on the form.  You will get your (up-to) $20 rebate within 8-10 weeks (see the rebate and website for full details).

So that's the long story, but what's the short, you ask?

Essentially, you will spend $50 OOP (BEFORE coupons, remember), and get a free ham/turkey.  Then you will get $20 back by mail, making your total $30 OOP (before coupons) and a free ham/turkey.  If you can use coupons on the items you buy, you can reduce your final OOP dramatically! 

And as an added bonus, if you wait and do this trip on April 9th-12th, you will ALSO qualify for Albertson's other promotion (announced in the Statesman this past Sunday), which is "Get two 10% off coupons when you spend $25 or more between Thursday, April 9th and Sunday, April 12th using your Albertson's prefered card" (promotion limited to two 10% coupons awarded per transaction.  First coupon effective Apr. 13-19th, Second coupon effective Apr. 20-26). 
 
So many things to think about this week--what are you going to buy?  How low can you get your final OOP?

19 comments:

Tamra said...

Way to work the system Emily! I love it!

Katie said...

Emily, you're awesome! Thanks for putting this all together. This'll make life so much easier for all of us trying to maximize this sale. So, I'll be calling you with all of my questions!

Jana said...

WOW! good job. I'm confused! You explained it great, i'm just trying to take it all in :)

Emily C. said...

Yes, it was a mind-boggling post to research and write--but I think I know the ropes now. . .bring on the questions!

Katie said...

Okay, so I'm trying to work this all out in my mind. Tell me if I'm right, essentially you're getting a free ham (because of the $10 in free meat when you spend $25-do this 2 times) plus you get $20 back from Unilever. So, you're making $20 for the Ham even though you got it free with the other deal? Are you doing both $25 transactions in one single transaction so you can get a $20 ham? Let me know if I'm way off. Emily, I still can't believe you figured this all out!

Katie said...

I'm having a hard time coming up with $40 in things I'd buy to make the rebate work. Anyone else? What are you guys going to buy?

Emily C. said...

Katie--yes, you spend $50 in one transaction, so you get $20 off instantly to pay for the ham (that's how I understand the promotion to work). Then you get the rebate money back, taking your OOP total down to $30 after rebate (before coupons). I haven't really planned out what I'm going to buy yet, although I was thinking I'd maybe stock up on the Skippy peanut butter at that price (Sale price is $2ea (.80 after coupons and factoring in rebate), so even if you only bought peanut butter, you'd buy 20 and that would take you to $40 in Unilever products right there.). Technically, only $40 of the $50 has to be the Unilever products (to get the ham rebate). You could spend the remaining $10 on the kraft products, or on Unilever products that don't work towards the ham, but do work towards the Albertson's meat promo (like the All detergent--that's one thing I think I'll be buying). Tomorrow I'l go through the list and my coupons and see if I can't get a scenario together for how this could work.

Emily C. said...

So here's a quick scenario off the top of my head:

(4) Bertolli Oven Bake Meals @$6ea = 4 x 6 = $24
(1) Slimfast 6 pack @ $6
(5) Skippy Peanut Butter @ $2ea = 5 x 2 = $10

(You've already reached the required $40 for the free ham rebate at this point)

(2) All Small and mighty @ $3.99ea = 2 x 3.99 = 7.98
(1) Oreo Cookies @ $2.99
(1) Milk (I need this to use my Oreo coupon, and will use a free milk coupon to get it) = FREE

(now your total is $50.97 in participating products, so you qualify for $20 FREE meat)

(1) Ham, priced as close to $20 as possible = FREE

Subtotal = 24 + 6 + 10 + 7.98 + 2.99 = $50.97
--I have $17.40 in coupons for these products, so 50.97 - 17.40 = $33.57 OOP in Albertson's that day.

--then--receive $20 ham rebate in mail, adjust OOP to 33.57 - 20 or $13.57 for:
4 Bertolli, 1 Slimfast, 5 Skippy, 2 All, 1 Oreo, 1 milk, and 1 ham. Not too shabby, eh?

Is that any clearer?

Emily C. said...

Ha ha--but wait--I forgot to add that I'll also be using my 2 5% off cool savings coupons, so I will get to take another 10% off this transaction (unfortunately, according to the coolsavings coupons, this is taken off the subtotal AFTER coupons, not before--I know LAME), which should be 10% off 33.57, or $3.35, ), bringing my OOP (after rebate) to $13.57 - $3.35 = $10.22 (plus tax). Yeah! And I should get two 10% off coupons back to use on the 13-19 and 20-26.

Jana said...

Ok yes, that helped a lot. One question, you're positive that the rebates will still work even though you used coupons? It's not $40 and $50 out of pocket right? Thanks!

Martha said...

Emily, I laughed that last night you said you'd figure it out in the morning...and an hour later (which technically was the next morning :), you had it all figured out...how do you have the time!!!

Jana said...

Emily~ one more question! Why didn't you include All on that brand name list? Is it included in the promotion?

Jana said...

oops! I just read your comment to Katie, got it. You use it towards the albertson's meat promo.

Emily C. said...

Martha--I know, I'm nuts! But I can't do hard thinking when my children are awake, thus much of my couponing is saved for the wee hours. I suspect I'm not the only one! And if I don't get a deal figured out before I go to bed, then I will spend the whole night dreaming about it! Is this a diagnosable condition, you think?

Cassie said...

I called Unilever customer service today and they said that Snuggle, All, and Wisk are not products included in the free ham $20 promotion. ONLY the products listed on the website are included. Additionally, when you submit your ham receipt there must be at least one Unilever participating product on the receipt. The lady I talked to said not to circle the total price paid at the bottom of the receipt but each individual item and the corresponding price BEFORE coupon usage. There are some Unilever products as part of the Albertsons $10 meat promotion that are NOT products that are in the Unilever $20 ham/turkey promotion. Be very careful how you do this because one error and you can kiss your $20 rebate goodbye. I am queen of messing up rebates and I am determined to not fail this time. I WILL get my $20 rebate! :)

Emily C. said...

You're right Cassie. You'll find that the list I provided you in this post are items that are on the Unilever rebate website list as well as the Albertson's promo list. Also, if you look at the PYP list, there is now a bold U by all the products that qualify for the unilever rebate.

Michelle said...

Question on the albertsons meat deal.
Can I buy $75 worth of product(kraft / unilever) on thursday get the $30 off. Go back in later that day and buy $25 worth of product (kraft / unilever) and get the same $10 off? Or do I need to do them in different days?
Thank you. Im new at all of this,but it is very exciting.

Kim said...

Michelle- To my understanding, every $25 you spend you get $10 off; whether it's all in one transaction or in separate transactions and no matter if you shop all at once or return later. The only bug we are trying to figure out is if for every $25 you spend if you have to purchase the meat or not. Hope that helps.

Emily C. said...

Someone over at the KCL blog commented tonight that she was able to spend $75 and get the $30 off automatically. This was at the Ten Mile Albies. And the Utah folks on the PYP forum have been able to do this all day. I'm hoping this means they have the bugs worked out of the system? Anyone else heard anything?